Continuing on from my previous post. I had a few issues getting up and running on my mac so thought I’d put a quick blog post up in case it helps anyone.
First I headed over to: https://github.com/overtone/overtone
And read this:
- Make sure you have a Java JDK version 6 or later.
- Download the lein script from the stable branch of this project.
- Place it on your $PATH. (~/bin is a good choice if it is on your path.)
- Set it to be executable. (chmod 755 ~/bin/lein)
- Run it.
Here’s a bit more detail:
1) First off I tried in the command line
java -version but this isn’t what you’re after. You need the actual JDK, I’m not sure how to check if you have this installed, but I was pretty sure I didn’t so went to google and typed
Java JDK download and got to: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
2) To download this, open the link in a new tab, copy the contents and save this to a file called
lein on your local machine.
3) I’m not sure if this is the correct way to do this, but it worked for me. I moved the file
lein created in the previous step to the bin folder in the root folder of my machine, a handy shortcut is to open the Finder, then
Shift+Cmd+G then can paste in
~/bin to get to that folder.
4) In Terminal (or I use iTerm, whatever you use for writing commands on the command line) paste in
chmod 755 ~/bin/lein and hit enter so it runs. This will change the permissions of the file.
5) To run it, in Terminal do
bash lein and again hit enter so that commands runs.
I then then did
lein new insane-noises,
lein repl, but got:
For some reason not all the dependencies are included in the
insane-noises/project.clj file, to fix this I had to add in the dependencies manually, so changed the
project.clj file from:
saved the file, then when I ran
lein repl the dependencies got downloaded and… woohooo!!!!! boom I’m in :)
After this I was also able to clone Chris’s repo: https://github.com/ctford/whelmed
and this is now playing Chris’s song, lovely stuff, especially like the
I just need to try and find out what’s going on with the
*** ERROR: open directory failed '/Users/simonowen/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/synthdefs' error now and I’m set.
Nice chatting to Chris afterwards, thanks again!
Like this post? Hire Me!