Recap of my first full time year as a freelancer 🥳👨🏻💻.
I've been carrying out freelance work on and off for several years, but always alongside full time employment.
2018 was my first year as a full time freelancer. Thanks so much to everyone who helped me along the way and your support!
This post is more of a 'recap' list that I can refer back to over time. If there's anything you'd like me to expand on, let me know. Throughout the year I wrote posts at various milestones, if you'd like to read those, here they are:
Workshops, working with various agencies, gaining new clients and friends, writing articles, supporting the community with UpFrontConf, McrFRED and the Manchester Tech Slack Group.
Launched my 🎬 first screencast series and achieved a bunch of personal goals.
- Ran a day workshop for UpFrontConf
- Ran a day workshop for the BBC
- Ran a three day workshop for the BBC
😀 Woohoo! Feedback from my @BBC workshop came in: " Very engaging and helpful, and enjoyed the breadth of topics and demos".— Simon Owen 🐝 (@s10wen) May 2, 2018
If you'd like me to run a workshop for you, find out more info: https://t.co/Ocpu36rGsh
or get in touch: https://t.co/F1xZRF9nMB
- Helped McCann with various projects and in-house training and tooling
- Recruited and put together a Front-End Team and delivered two major projects for Telux
- Built a Style Guide and Component Library for the online e-commerce State Supply
- Built the first Digital Annual Review for the Together Trust Charity
- Smashing Magazine Article
- Front-End Developer Tips
- Development Environment Machine Setup Screencast
- Virtual Box Brew Install Error
- Old School Web Development Techniques
- Web Community Leads Summit
- Front-End Developer Workspace in net Magazine
- Takeaways from Todd Gardner's Talk on The Developer's Guide to Promoting Your Work
Organised and ran UpFrontConf, along side fellow co-founders Dan Donald, Jack Sheppard and the McrDig team.
Continued to run McrFRED. Special thanks to the speakers and to everyone that came along. Let me know what topics you'd like to see this year!
Shout out to Alex Clapperton for doing a tremendous job at helping me out this year. Cheers Alex!
- Web Community Leads Summit
- Manchester Tech Slack Group
- 1000+ views on my CodePen - Flexbox: Various Columns, Colour Style Guide Demo
- MMU Meet the Meetups
One of my personal favourite highlights, was creating my first 🎥 online screencast series.
☺️ Super excited for this one!— Simon Owen 🐝 (@s10wen) December 25, 2018
🎬 My screencast series is now ready and for Christmas you can pay what you’d like.
🏆 If you’re interested in knowing more about setting up and maintaining a dev machine, this one’s for you: https://t.co/XluZM9ghtE
Merry Christmas! 🎄
Filtering and organising emails was one of the quickest and most noticeable improvement on my productivity this year. I wrote more about this in my first month post. If you haven't done this yet, I'd recommend giving it a go!
Personal and Work Goals
☕️ Enjoyed nice coffee, thanks Pact Coffee!.
🏋🏻♂️ Switched going to the gym for working out at home.
🚗 Less commuting / time stuck in traffic driving.
📷 Moved all my photos off Flickr 👋🏻.
😎 Added a 'dark mode' to my site.
👾 Gaming: Halo, Forza 4.
💆🏻♂️ Added slides regarding Mental Health to all workshops I gave and received positive feedback every time.
🍻 Less alcohol.
🥕 Lots more Vegetarian / Vegan food.
💆🏻♀️ Meditation course / Headspace.
👫👭 Had a top day out with Harry Roberts and met Bryan James, the awesome person who created this:
🏃🏻♂️ Marple 10k - 08/09/2018.
🌳 Bonsai Trees.
💸 Got my first payment, thanks @smashingmag.
🍏 It seems Apple got my message, thank you!
🦉 Most Popular Tweet - 34.4K impressions
🎶 My Spotify 2018. Minutes Listened: 42,046, Top Artist: Mogwai.
That's a wrap, here's to 2019. It's going to be a big one! 👶🏻
Like this post? Hire Me!